I painted a wood slice to make a colorful tray, but this time I've had the idea of constellations stuck in my head.
I used a star-shaped punch to cut my stars, but really I think you could use whatever you have on hand: a round hole punch for circular stars, or just use scissors to cut triangular or star-shaped stars.
I use my trays mostly for layering decor or stacking centerpieces, but I also use them as flat surfaces for drinks on the living room ottoman. Whether you have your own wood to cut, or you buy your wood slices at craft stores, here is an easy way to personalize them.
► smooth, sanded wood slice
► glittered or metallic paper or card stock
► Mod Podge
► star-shaped hole punch; round hole punch; or scissors
► permanent metallic sharpie or metallic paint
► paint brush
► waterproof sealer or topcoat (optional)
1. Start by cutting or punch out your star shapes
2. Lay out your stars on the wood slice to plan your constellations. I chose the Big Dipper, Cancer (my star sign) and Canis Minor because they're all relatively near each other in the sky. Remember: this doesn't have to be completely accurate; this is a craft project, not astronomy homework!
3. Put a spot of Mod Podge on your wood slice exactly where you will place a star. Place a star on top.
4. After Mod Podge-ing all of your stars to the wood slice surface, use your permanent metallic marker or metallic paint to draw lines, connecting each star in the constellations.
5. & 6. After paint has dried, apply a coat of Mod Podge over the entire wood slice surface, including over the tops of the stars. Let dry at least 24 hours, up to 72 hours to be sure it has completely cured.
7. If you plan to use your tray to hold drinks, you may want to water-proof your wood slice with a topcoat sealant. Alternatively, you could just use Mod Podge Outdoor, which is not 100% waterproof, but according to Mod Podge Rocks is, "highly water resistant." Also, give it an additional coat of Mod Podge Outdoor, curing 72 hours between coats.
And there you have it! I hope you enjoy this very easy - but very useful - home decor project!